Monday, November 28, 2011

Are You an Animal,Vegetable or Mineral?

Our class has been working really hard over the last couple of weeks testing for and identifying twelve different mineral's physical properties.   Each week the kiddos perform different tests and carefully record their results in their Mineral ID packets.  This week the students performed a hardness test scratching each mineral with a copper penny and a iron nail.   It was a multi-step test and although not difficult, the process was on the confusing side.  The kids all worked hard and we seem to accomplish the tests with much more ease than when we first started.   It has been a real learning experience for me witnessing the kids different learning styles and how they work; learning who will be good to go right out of the gate and who may need us to check in at the beginning just to help them get going.    They are a great group and have worked really hard and I am glad that Arlette and I will be able to complete the Mineral Identification Packet before our time in the classroom is up.  

 Tying in the Engineering and Technology frameworks with the rocks and mineral unit proved challenging for us.   We attempted to do so by having a discussion about the use of minerals.  We talked about how testing the minerals hardness didn't just help Geologists (and the students!) identify minerals but also helped them know what tasks and inventions the minerals would be best suited for.  We spent some time discussing the use of different minerals and what rocks and minerals would be good for certain tasks.   The kids all agreed that they would not want to build a house out of talc. 

We ended the lesson talking about the many different jobs a Geologist has, how it isn't just sitting in a lab testing the physical properties of rocks and minerals.   We had a presentation explaining how among other cool things, Geologists work at NASA examining samples from Mars looking for signs of life,  some examine dinosaur bones, and others may travel the world studying volcanos.  The kids than wrote in their journals about what they would do if they were a Geologists.  Would you believe with all the cool job descriptions we gave at least two of the students said they would travel around, find rocks and minerals and test for their physical properties.  Ha!

What Kind of Mineral Are You? http://quizilla.teennick.com/quizzes/8029645/what-kind-of-mineral-are-you

4 comments:

  1. Sarah,


    I'm glad that you and Arlette have succeeded in covering most of the properties of minerals. I had a similar experience (to your students saying they would find their own rocks and minerals) this class observing a few students who clearly have enjoyed learning about minerals. One of my students bought his own book on minerals and was begging me all class to let him show it to the class. During the whole class discussion that I had I let him look up information on a mineral when I could not answer a student question. I also had students play a joke on me. It mad me feel quite stupid! When I was collecting all of the minerals at the end of the class I asked, "Does anyone else have any minerals left behind?" Almost the whole class held up their pencils and said "yes we do!" At first I was caught off guard because I didn't think they were talking about their pencils, but after looking around I understood their humor and that they were learning. It is so rewarding to see students take an interest in learning about what we are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah- I think you guys did a good job of incorporating engineering and technology into your lesson. I am assuming talc is not a strong or durable rock? haha I also like how you discussed different jobs geologists might have, because I can see where the students would begin to think that all they do is work in a lab testing minerals. I also remember doing somthing along the lines of scraping a penny and nail (and I think other things) against rocks when I was in elementary school. We actually had a "Mr. Science Guy" come once a month...but thats for a whole nother blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I like how your kids have a packet that they have been working on for the whole unit. They must be proud to see how much work they are doing! I think it's a great idea to expose them to different careers that geologists can have. It makes what they are doing seem relevant and important. I wonder if any of them will end up being scientists some day??

    ReplyDelete
  4. You summarized your lesson very well. Addressing the misconception that many children carry regarding scientist working in labs and exposing them to the different kinds of jobs a geologist may have.

    ReplyDelete