Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Snowball in June

Until I had children my science story is best summed up by this cartoon...

I don't remember much from my elementary science classes except for the obligatory observations of cork under a microscope or the study of the lifecycle of the frog.    I am not sure to blame my lack of interst or my teacher's lack of engaging teaching style.  Since I hate taking the blame for anything I am going to blame my teachers.  I just don't have memories of being engaged or excited about science.    My secondary studies were mainly business focused so it didn't provide much opportunity for higher level science exploration.

Then I had children and my life turned into a science experiment.    What is that smell coming from that backpack...what happens to a peach if it is left in a car console for two summer months... can a goldfish survive if it is fed potatochips??   Children really are like minature scientists that are constantly thinking "Why does that?" "What would happen if?"   I have seen how a well timed science experiement can turn a boring, rainy day into a day filled with excitement and wonder.  My kids don't even know that they are learning and through them I am learning just how captivating teaching science can be.    I love watching and hearing them think "could birds really have evovled from T-Rexs?"  "How does the starfishes leg grow back?"   I like to think that science, if taught right, keeps that free thinking alive.   Although our students might not spend a lot of time thinking "why can't you start a sentance with a preposition," I am sure we will have more than one that thinks "if i put a snowball in the freezer can I throw it in June?"

Photo File

5 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I loved reading your science story! It was much more meaningful not just hearing about your academic experiences with science, but all the memories with your children. I never would have thought to take my story in that direction. You just proved how there are teachable science moments everywhere, and how the least expected ones can be the most enlightening! I think you will be the polar opposite of your elementary science teachers; you will have students that 20 years after your class will still be blogging about how awesome an experiment they did with Mrs. T's class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love the stories about how your children turn everything into science! It's so true that if you think about it, you can see science everywhere. It sounds like you have a really great point of view on things that interest kids and the way that they think, I'm glad you shared your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I loved your stories about your children too! I believe that their curiosity is definitely an attribute that we should maintain throughout our lives! Thank you for sharing! You really captured how embedded the concept of science is in our everyday experiences! It is always insightful (and usually humorous) to hear the amazing things that kids wonder about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I love your cartoons!! I'm sorry you didn't have a fun experience with science in school but it sounds like you are having quite a fun time with it now! The stories with your kids are so funny yet so true I think that kids make the best scientists! Everyday there is something new and exciting for them to explore and it is just amazing to watch as they discover new concepts. Haha I still can't understand how a starfish grows it's legs back. (haha I even wrote about it on my blog before I read this.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! Your science story was really cute, it made me smile! Sounds like you have fun turning your kids curiosity into science discussions/experiments! What happened to the peach in the car? I'm not sure if that's a science experiment I'm willing to try out for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete