Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Keep on Rockn' and Rollin'...like a cycle...get it??

The second lesson Arlette and I gave was on the rock cycle.  Our lesson plan had the students using an igneous-crayon-rock to model the natural and physical processes that rocks go through in the rock cycle.  It tied in easily with the Framework Standard which aims to have students be able to explain the natural and physical processes that create metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary rocks.   The kiddos used a plastic knife to demonstrate weathering which brings me to material management!

So many kids!! So many rocks!! Knifes??
Materials management.... it's funny, it all works out so nicely in our lesson plan.   25 kids on paper are much easier to manage than 25 kids in the flesh. It seems so chaotic while it is happening but when I reflect, considering we have a big group and we are dealing with a lot of rocks, it went really smoothly.  I found myself thinking "If only we had enough trays so that each grouping could all be set up..."but i imagine that is part of being a teacher.   Knowing what would be best case scenario, understanding that it just isn't possible, and working the best with what you have.     Much like everyone else, Arlette and I did everything that could be done in advance, in advance.   It makes such a difference.     One thing I do need to manage better is my own material management!! I can't belive how many times I found myself, during the lesson, looking for where I had left my lesson plan and notes.

Our introduction, I realize now, could have done a better job engaging the students in what we were going to do in this lesson, rather than just making a connection to what we did in the last.  It is funny, those first 30 seconds when the teacher turns it over to us is nerve wracking, all those little eyes staring at you, and you want to make your first couple of sentences so engaging.    Then all of a sudden all these hands are shooting up,our kids are so eager to talk and share what they know that the stress is off.

I do feel like I leave these lessons thinking "I will remember this for next time...I should have done this...Wow, they really seemed to like that."   Which is why I totally could relate to this cartoon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I like how you point out that it's easy to manage a classroom on paper, but it can be a different story in real life! I was talking to someone recently about how we feel like we've started writing better lesson plans now that we have some actual experience in the classroom. I've had the same feeling as you about the very beginning of the lesson, too. You think you're pretty much ready and then all of a sudden all eyes are on you and you're on. Like you said though, once the kids get involved and start participating it seems to get easier. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how the rocks unit goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I think it's great that you are learning from your experiences and are keeping a positive outlook when certain parts of your lesson don't go exactly as planned. You really have a great attitude and I think it's awesome that you are not ashamed to admit your weaknesses (like materials management in this particular lesson), because learning from our mistakes is what this experience is all about. This positive attitude is definitely going to work in your favor when you have a class of your own, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah- I agree with your take on the first 30 seconds the teacher hands over the class to you...most of the time I forget half of what I plan on saying. But it is all going to start coming naturally with practice and exposure...Also I like how you said everything looks good on paper with 25 students..but its a littttle bit different when they are in the flesh...yup! :)

    ReplyDelete