Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Time to Rock and Roll!



To write this blog reflection I had to think a lot about what the next six weeks were going to be like teaching a rocks and minerals unit to a class of fourth graders.   Not what or how am I going to teach but rather what am I feeling about teaching it?

What am I excited about? I am incredibly excited to teach a classroom of kids!  I am most excited being in front of a classroom of kids teaching     The M.Ed. program has given me many opportunities to work with students but typically it has been with smaller groups.  This will be my first opportunity to actually be in front of a full class of kids.  It is exciting to me that Arlette and I will be responsible for teaching these kids something that they really need to learn this year.  This isn’t a superfluous lesson and we are not just there to support the classroom teacher.  We are teaching!!   I am so glad my first experience is with a science unit because I think it is one of those subjects that across the board kids get excited about.   I feel like we are heading in with the deck stacked in our favor. 
What am I nervous about? I am incredibly nervous to teach a classroom of kids (and a couple of professors)!  If I start to think of everything that can go wrong I will break out in hives!  Twenty five students, class right after recess, material I have never taught, kids potentially armed with rocks!!   No matter how much we plan, or anticipate, we are dealing with kids and anything can happen. I am nervous that they will ask me something that I don’t know… or that I will confuse them… or perhaps worse of all I will be boring!  To add to those worries, I sometimes get irrationally self-conscious teaching in front of another adult so I am worried that I will get “stage fright.”   I am confident that my trusty partner Arlette will jump in and save me if any of my nightmare scenarios occur.    

I am so exci-vous to start teaching about rocks and minerals in two weeks! I anticipate the learning curve is going to be steep and I am eager to reflect and see how much I change over the course of the six lessons.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I completely agree with you, the kids seem to be so excited about science that it will be a much easier subject to start off our teaching experience with. I feel that if the students are interested and excited about what we are teaching them, it will be much easier to get them involved and to manage the classroom.
    That is a little scary that your class is going to have rocks to throw, haha but I really don't anticipate that happening! As you mentioned, I am also very nervous about confusing the students or not being able to answer their question but remember that you can always go home and look the answer up and bring it back the following week for the child or email it to the teacher to tell the students in class the next day. (One of the perks of technology in the classroom.)
    You going to do great don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the video that you posted! I bet your students would love to see it if you get a chance in one of your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, You are not allowed to have any anxiety, that is my job! Maybe we should wear hockey masks to protect us from flying rocks. Kieran and I enjoyed the music video. God help us!!

    ReplyDelete